Friday, February 18, 2011

My wonderfully talented hubby

J put his home-ec skills to use and MADE the valance for our nursery! I am so impressed! He made it out of a crib skirt. The whole thing was his idea and he pretty much did it himself. And it looks amazing. Once we get the whole nursery done (and that stupid treadmill out), I'll post pics.
We bought all the components to the hospital bags and this weekend I am going to finish packing them. We also installed our car seat bases, though mine doesn't incline properly so we have to get that fixed when we get them checked. Birthing classes are over and we met a great couple that lives right down the street from us so hopefully we will connect with them soon. The last class we took a tour of the labor and delivery unit and I totally freaked out! I don't know why, but walking into the birthing room just totally made it so real for me. And seeing all the machines and the little incubator thing that they put the newborns in kind of scared me. Then we went to the nursery and seeing all the little babies made me feel better. I just have to remember that at the end of it all, we get a beautiful little baby and it will all be so worth it!
My shower is in a couple of weeks and I am getting excited. We also have 3 more classes to go to in the next month- expectant parents class (1st aid, how to change a diaper, etc), a breastfeeding class, and J has a Dad's class to go to. Then we have J's best friend coming to visit (I fully expect to be DD for the weekend) and then it will just be a waiting game until the baby decides to grace us with his/her presence!
I am amazed at the support we are getting from strangers when they ask what the gender is and we tell them that we are waiting to find out. Most people say "Good for you!" and comment that no one waits anymore. I read somewhere that only 20-30% of couples let it be a surprise. In fact, we were the only couple in the birthing class that didn't know the gender. Though it has been hard not to peek at the ultrasounds, I am glad we decided to wait.
We took our maternity photos last weekend. We weren't that thrilled with them, but I'll post a couple soon. Of course we were big dorks and had half done in a State outfit, but no one should be surprised by that. The photographer asked if I wanted to be half nude so that my belly would show, and I wasn't all that comfortable with that. It's weird, I have no problem with people touching my belly, but I don't really like showing it. We did do a couple of shots where I rolled up my shirt and one of them is actually really cute so I guess it turned out OK. Check back soon for the pics!
P.S. Note the time...5:20 AM. Yes, that's right, I've been up since 3:30. The dog and I have a new schedule. He wakes me up at 3:30 to go out, won't come back in and then I can't get back to sleep. I think he's preparing me for the baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment